Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Gag Man

I'm thrilled to announce that I'll be expanding an article I wrote for The Dissolve into a book for The Critical Press. Here's the original article, and here's some more information about the book. I'm looking forward to digging deeper into Bruckman's life, and I think it's going to be a really interesting book. Also: it's great and kind of unbelievable that The Dissolve let me write a story about Bruckman to begin with, except they publish bizarre, interesting, obscure and great stories all the time. I'm grateful they took a chance on this article.

3 comments:

Angela said...

congratulations!

Rand Careaga said...

I add my congratulations, with the reservation that this development likely signals that the Criterion Contraption will remain in a persistent vegetative state.

Unknown said...

I'm glad that someone has approached this subject of the sad part of Hollywood history regarding Clyde Bruckman's suicide, and how a few people caused a down and out man to finally kill himself. Bruckman was part of the most creative comedy team in the history of silent film. Much of the success of Keaton, Lloyd, Laurel and Hardy,and many others is owed to his skillful mechanics in putting over a gag. The story of his downfall and death should give insight into the dark side of the business of show and the lack of credit one gets for sharing their talent and skills. It can be a very thankless business to those behind the camera.