My first book, The Gag Man: Clyde Bruckman and the Birth of Film Comedy has been officially released. You can buy it directly from the publisher at http://thecriticalpress.com/books/the-gag-man/ or from Amazon at http://amzn.com/1941629199. Read the book Werner Herzog called "a deep insight into the vortex of laughter and death!"
Wednesday, September 16, 2015
Wednesday, August 12, 2015
My first book, The Gag Man: Clyde Bruckman and the Birth of Film Comedy now has an official release date, a final cover, and a blurb from Werner Herzog.
Coming from The Critical Press on September 15; pre-order it here: http://thecriticalpress.com/books/the-gag-man/
Thursday, October 23, 2014
Hola, amigos. It's been a long time since I rapped at ya, so here are links to a lot of new work I've done for The Dissolve. First, features:
- Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder, and the rise and fall of Hollywood's happiest couple: A history of the collaborative partnership between Charles Brackett and Billy Wilder, which produced some great films, at least two masterpieces, and a lot of bad blood.
- Animation's Lost Masterpiece: The story of Richard Williams' decades-long quixotic attempt to create the greatest animated film in history.
- Achievement Unlocked: Everybody knows video games based on movies and movies based on video games are terrible. What this article presupposes is maybe they aren't so bad any more?
- The Magnificent Hubleys: How one family changed the face of animation, from Snow White to Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
- Comrade Rambo: The story of a strange, low-rent Soviet action movie from the height of the Cold War.
- The Making and Unmaking of McCabe & Mrs. Miller: Robert Altman's masterpiece went through a decade of development before reaching the screen; here's what happened.
And also reviews:
- Field of Lost Shoes
- The Decent One
- Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead
- 1,000 Times Good Night
I think that's everything. Enjoy!
Tuesday, May 13, 2014
I'm thrilled to announce that I'll be expanding an article I wrote for The Dissolve into a book for The Critical Press. Here's the original article, and here's some more information about the book. I'm looking forward to digging deeper into Bruckman's life, and I think it's going to be a really interesting book. Also: it's great and kind of unbelievable that The Dissolve let me write a story about Bruckman to begin with, except they publish bizarre, interesting, obscure and great stories all the time. I'm grateful they took a chance on this article.
Monday, April 14, 2014
All credit to Chuck Jordan for the title of this post. I've written something new for the Dissolve, about puppies. Dog trainers, movies with dogs, that kind of thing, but also there are pictures of our puppy. Here it is. (My next article will be about a tragic Hollywood failure, don't worry.)